Monday, May 21, 2007

I've Been Interviewed!!

Interview Me! MOM2_4 has interviewed me with the following questions, so here goes! If you would like to be interviewed, just read the information that follows.

1. What is your best childhood memory?
My best childhood memory is spending lazy summer days at Lake Webster. My grandma had a lake cottage and there were times we would spend all week there and dad would ride his motorcycle back and forth to work (yes, before $3.50/gal gas!!) I learned to water ski, tube and swim on that lake. I did nothing to prevent myself from skin cancer as I was blistered burned each evening, but it was fun!!

2. What's one thing you would like to learn?
There are two things I would love to learn to do: pottery and advanced cake decorating
3. Where did you find your daughter's names?
Braylen Irina-Rene Fleck is my oldest and she was adopted from Kazakhstan. Irina was her birthname, Rene is my middle name and my mom's middle name and Braylen came from the letters in Bradley's name (my husband). Alea Tyan-ling Grace Fleck is my youngest and she was adopted from Taiwan. Tyan-ling was her birthname, Grace because I prayed for a baby girl from an Asian country since I was 15 years old and by God's Grace my prayers were answered!! And Alea is the name of a little girl I met in Myrtle Beach swimming in the pool and I loved the name and wanted it for my next baby girl!!!
4. Why international adoption?
As I said earlier, I had prayed for an Asian baby girl since I was 15 years old. When Brad and I met I told him I wanted to adopt from an Asian country someday. He agreed that we would after we had a few biological children. God had other plans, we found out it was nearly impossible for me to carry a baby full term, so we decided to adopt. We felt that God was calling us internationally because there are so many children needing homes in underpriveleged orphanages world wide. There are long waiting lists for children in the States and we were willing to go overseas, so we decided to do that. We felt safe in the decision being final as well. We found out that I had to be 30 to adopt from China and we researched other countries and never got a peace about them. I tried so hard to make them work, but God led us to Kazakhstan, a country we had never heard of and once we had we said we would never go there due to expense!! He worked it all out and we have a beautiful little girl. Our lives were changed the day we walked into Braylen's orphanage. We came home with a mission to help the least of these and to promote adoption and orphan care as commanded in James 1:27. We knew we wanted to adopt again, but had no clue where the financing would come for it again. God led us to missionaries in Taiwan and Alea is the miracle behind that process!!

5. Are you planning to adopt any more children?
We are often asked that question. We never know where God will lead, but Brad and I are very happy as a family of four. However, we still have a passion for adoption and orphan care. Honestly, I'd love to devote my life to finding forever families for children worldwide. I would love to put that passion into others adopting and in a sense changing more lives, but God may have another little one out there for us as well. Are we pursuing another adoption at this time? No. Are we open to another little one? Probably yes. Are we open to an older child adoption or foster care in the future? Very much so!!

Now its your turn to play if you wish! Leave me a comment saying, "Interview me." I will respond by asking you five questions. I get to pick the questions, and I will message or comment you with them and these directions. Just update your blog with the answers to the questions and include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Loved reading your answers. Adoption has become a passion for me as well. I'd love to get involved in big ways with orphans world-wide. Who knows how God will use our passions for His kingdom work! We'll just have to wait and see ...