Saturday, March 24, 2007

Our Flooded Day



This morning we woke to a lazy day at home ahead of us. I decided it would be a great day to sort through the girl's winter clothing and put it away and dig out spring things. I started in Bray's room and then worked in Alea's room until it was time for her morning nap. When she went down, I told Bray we were going to go to the basement to find the tub of last summer's clothing to see if anything would still fit her this year. We went down and were greeted with about 4-5 inches of water throughout the ENTIRE basement!!!! We have lived here for almost 6 years and have NEVER had a drop of water in the basement! We called Brad and he quickly discovered that the sump pump had quit working along with the backup sump pump! GREAT! He was able to get the main pump working and it immediately started sucking up all the water. We don't have great pictures because we were so overwhelmed, we didn't take pics until after we started getting rid of water and then Brad took them, so there are only the two! He doesn't overdo it like me!!!


Mom and Dad came up to help us clean it all out and watch the girls. We could never have done it all without them. Of course, about half way through, I spiked a 102.9 fever and was out of helping!! We lost a lot of stuff and our homeowners won't cover it. We lost most of our wedding pictures, but we have the negatives and they were fine!!! I lost the scrapbook I had done of all the vacations, including our honeymoon before the girls came! BUT...we didn't lose any of the adoption books or pictures--praise God!!! I lost most all of my teaching materials if I would ever choose to get back into teaching--it's all gone (bulletin board stuff, books, resources, some files....) That was disappointing, but we are counting our blessings because it could have been much worse if we wouldn't have discovered it (we rarely go to the basement, so it was a God thing that I decided to dig out spring and summer clothing today!!) there could have been a fire, or anything and we could have lost the whole house, so we are thankful.
Brad will be cutting all the drywall out on the bottom and replacing all the insulation and drywall. The carpet is outside drying (it wasn't professionally laid with pad and all, just a mat basically and it isn't the carpet we will have down when we officially finish the basement).
We still have a lot of work ahead of us, but for now we are exhausted and ready for bed and if we see another stair anytime soon we may start cussing!!!! My fever has gone down to the 99 degree range. You can be praying about that. Monday will be two weeks that this has occurred--I spike a fever everyday, sometimes twice and then I take a tylenol and a nap and it breaks. No other symptoms besides extreme fatigue and body aches during the fever. I will be calling the doctor on Monday. This has gone on long enough!!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Ohh, Brad & Carmen, I'm so sorry to hear this news! What a day you must have had. And I'm sorry to hear about the losses due to the little flood. Carmen, I hope you find something out from the doctor this week and that you get to feeling better real soon! Blessings!