Thursday, February 12, 2009

Two Little Girls


Brad has been gone on business this week and I've been down with the flu. It has been a long week to say the least! As I sit here and type, I am listening to the girls play after they just got out of the bathtub and I love listening to their giggles and conversations with each other. Braylen just said, "Sit down you little blue bottom!" (Alea has Mongolian spots on her bottom, and yes, it is very blue!!) Last night we had major wind and rain. The girls were both very nervous at bedtime. I was prepared for a very long sleepless night. We talked about being brave and that Jesus would help us. Both girls were in Bray's bed and we were praying and asking Jesus to help us be brave. Braylen talked about other times she was brave and then said she didn't think she could be tonight. I asked her who made the rain. She said God. I asked her who made the wind and she again said God. I asked her who made her and she said God. I asked her who takes care of her and she said God. I said, "Do you think that if God can take care of you, if He can make you, the wind and the rain, that he can take care of the wind and the rain and you tonight?" She agreed that yes, he probably could. I had no clue how much Alea was soaking up, but we sang our little song, said our last prayer and kissed goodnight. I took Alea into her room and was getting her into her pajamas. The wind was really howling in her room and I thought to myself--she is never going to sleep tonight! I was pleading with the Lord to make it go away because I so much wanted to go to bed myself. Alea looked at me, then to her window. She said, "No be bave!" as she shook her little head back and forth! I said, "Oh, baby I know it's hard to be "bave" in a storm, but I know that Jesus will help you do it!" We rocked and rocked and rocked and sang every song I know with the name of Jesus in it!! I put her in bed and didn't hear a peep out of either of them until morning!!


I cannot imagine raising my girls without the faith I have in Jesus Christ. How would I handle these types of fears? I am so thankful that even on bad days (Alea was very much a handful today and did not take a nap) that I can find ways to be thankful for two little girls that changed my life forever! I cannot imagine life without them in it.
"Thank you, Lord for blessing me with these little girls. Help me be the Mommy I need to be for them. Help me be Jesus to them now so they will grow to know and love you. And one more thing, Jesus, help them go to sleep early tonight because it has been such a long day!!"

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh, Carmen... what a sweet, touching post. Amazing what those little ears can soak up and comprehend. It was scary windy last night here as well, and we heard pop pop pop as so many shingles were ripped off our roof and landed all over our yard and the neighbor's yard. We had to have our roof fixed today, and the repairmen were here for awhile patching us up. We have to get a whole new roof this summer because of so much wind damage, and our house is only 10 years old. :(

Trisha said...

Thanks so much for your your post and your faith. It is true they are such blessing, yet they can be so hard to raise. Thanks for reminding me that I need to ask daily for the Lord to help me be Jesus to them, even when my faith is weak.

Keetha Broyles said...

Those winds last night were scary!!!

They were so strong they were making my upstairs bedroom SHAKE!!!! It scared me so bad that I came downstairs and laid on the couch!!! I guess I thought I could HELP Jesus protect me.

Awaiting Avery said...

Carmen, you are such a great example of a God-loving mom for us to follow. Thank you for sharing your faith! Love ya!

Kimberly and Elizabeth said...

Carmen,
I don't know where to start....first, your girls are BEAUTIFUL!!! Secondly, your prayer brought tears to my eyes as I read it, how many times have I prayed that God would help me be the mommy He wants me to be and to help me "be" Christ to my son so he too grows to know and love Him....and then I got to the last part and I laughed because how many times have I said THAT prayer...please God just let him sleep! Carmen, you make me smile...love following your blog & keep being a shining example to your girls and all of us!

Elizabeth
P.S. - you have to tell me how you made your blog so cute! I love it!

Cheryl said...

LOVE your blog!!

Truly - it is great to read the sweet moments, with them centered around faith and then close w/ scripture?!

TOO perfect!!

I stop in now and again to read up on what's happenning in your world (we're w/ HOGL too)

Thanks for sharing your awesome-ness!!!