Tuesday, November 04, 2008

What I've Been Doing...

I am the preschool director at my church. We have just completed a MAJOR renovation of our existing building to update it and make it a great place for Preschoolers. We are calling our area Tiny Town. I have had many people help me with this project! I especially want to give a shout out to Brad, my girls (for being so patient during this project), grandparents and Aunt Shelley who have kept my girls during this, Beth, Mary Ellen, Sarah, Kathy, Megan, Dan, Pam and Dennis for all your creative and skillful help in making this project a great success!!!!
This is our Resource Center. We made all the buildings out of blue foam board. We used a hot engraving tool to create the cobblestone, siding, bricks. If you ever use foam to create like we did, a jigsaw works MUCH better than a hot melt knife.

This is the tree outside the Tree House. We made this using spray foam insulation sprayed on quarter inch luan. We than sprayed it with black paint and then lightly with brown. The foliage was bought during a Hobby Lobby 1/2 off sale.

When you go up the steps, there is a large branch "holding" this tree house up. I couldn't get a good angle due to tight space, so you'll have to come to our church to see the real thing!!!


Inside the Tree House. This is where we have large group time that includes music, skits, puppets and the Bible Story. Second hour we turn this room into a center play room where the kids get to play with things like doll houses, kitchens, dino hut, lego table, sand table, etc... for a bit of time.


Inside the Tree House. We had an open house for parents on Sunday, hence the big chairs!!




The Sound booth in the Tree House





Another view inside the Tree House


Puppet area in Tree House



The Tree


A view of the hall on main floor
A view of Main Street. This is the hall where all our small groups meet.


Another view of Main Street


Main Street again!!


One of our classrooms. We have a blue room, purple room, sunshine orange room and lime green room. Very bright!!

We started working on this August 14th and completed it Nov 1st. We did all this work ourselves, nothing was hired done. I am very satisfied with how it all turned out! I had and amazing team!!!! I am looking forward to spending more time at home now though!!!!










8 comments:

Janie said...

Carmen - this is AMAZING! I absolutely love what you guys have done. We're prepping to do some sprucing up in The Pursuit's new building here in Florida. Thanks for your photos and for your example of having done it all with volunteers. Great stuff!

Happy day, Janie

MOM2_4 said...

WOW! AWESOME!!!!!!!

Hummel Family said...

OH MY!! This is awesome!! You (and the team) are so creative. What a great way to use your gifts for the Lord. Those kids will have fun learning about Jesus!!! GOOD JOB!!

Now, get some REST! ;)

Kim said...

Carmen, You and the team are AMAZING! "WOW" doesn't even begin to describe it! I'm sitting here thinking, "I remember when that building was built" and all the changes it's gone through. I promise you...Dad never envisioned anything as wonderful as that! We were just happy for classroom space. :-)

Fantastic job! I can't wait to come see.

Sarah said...

Oh, Carmen! This is so so so cool. Fantastic!

Keetha Broyles said...

Very awesome!!!

Looks like it represents hours and hours and hours of work.

Carrie Anderson said...

Wow. That is so good. I love it!

Avery Family said...

Wow! Very impressive. It makes me want to be a little kid again. You made preschool soo much fun. Makayla would whisper, "Wow." And she would love it, just like all the children I am sure do at your church. You are so talented. Your girls look adorable in the hats too!